- The elder to the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth, and not only I but also all who know the truth,
- because of the truth which abides in us and will be with us for ever:
- Grace, mercy, and peace will be with us, from God the Father and from Jesus Christ the Father's Son, in truth and love.
Truth and Love
- I rejoiced greatly to find some of your children following the truth, just as we have been commanded by the Father.
- And now I beg you, lady, not as though I were writing you a new commandment, but the one we have had from the beginning, that we love one another.
- And this is love, that we follow his commandments; this is the commandment, as you have heard from the beginning, that you follow love.
- For many deceivers have gone out into the world, men who will not acknowledge the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh; such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist.
- Look to yourselves, that you may not lose what you have worked for, but may win a full reward.
- Any one who goes ahead and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God; he who abides in the doctrine has both the Father and the Son.
- If any one comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into the house or give him any greeting;
- for he who greets him shares his wicked work.
- Though I have much to write to you, I would rather not use paper and ink, but I hope to come to see you and talk with you face to face, so that our joy may be complete.
- The children of your elect sister greet you.